Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sidewalk Philosophy

I was leaning on my snow shovel to catch a breath when Herkimer strolled up.

"You are too old for that, you know it?"

"Always have been, but so long as snow falls, has to be done."

"Yeah.  Hey, I been thinking."

This is not a good sign.

"Cain resented the favor his brother enjoyed. Since that time, man has been settling his differences with his fellow-man by offing him. The principal difference today is not in the heart condition of the participants, but rather in the efficiency of means and modes.  One of these days we are going to kill everyone.  Ho hum."  A long speech for a man with his attention span.

"Small loss, if you ask me," he concluded.

"And a nice day to you, too, Herk," I said, swinging my shovel back to the task.



No comments: