Continuing the study in the Gospel of Mark we see that the disciples are selfish, always about self and missing what Christ wants from them as a group.
"They had argued about who was the greatest." Mark 9:34
THE COMPETITIVE FENCE
The disciples desired that Jesus would put a stop to one outside their circle who was casting out demons in the name of Jesus. --We are greater mentality. A fence.
Jesus said, "Whoever is not against us is for us." (v. 40)
THE SECTARIAN FENCE
Those who are not part of our group surely cannot be right. No,
All born-again followers of Christ are members of the Body of Christ.
"Whoever wants to be first must be slave of all." --Jesus, Mark 10:44
THE EGOTISTICAL FENCE
The overzealous spirit wants to distinguish itself, puts its own agenda ahead of what Christ wants done.
"People just do what comes naturally." --Dennis Kinlaw
FROM ME TO WE
There is something we MUST grasp: We are called to DO together.
When we are for the self we are missing what Christ has for us: To build the Church.
For the disciples the Shift from Me to We occurred at Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came upon them.
Too many people like the idea of following Jesus, but are not loyal to each other.
We are to be bonded to each other in Christ.
"To belong is as important as to be." --JB
IF YOU LOVE HIM YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER.
"This is my command: Love each other." --Jesus (John 15:17)
1. Get involved in small group; connect with the Body of Christ more than once a week
2. Become a member so you can be more actively involved.
3. Find a way to serve along side the brothers and sisters.
4. Pray that God will send us people who are not like us and that He will send us out to people who are not like us.
5. Commit to a weekly time of worship with the group.
6. Submit to the authority of the Church.
7. Spend a significant amount of time praying for the needs of others.
Pastor Johnnie Blair
Like to hear this message? Click here.
"It is places of crisis and community where God will work a change in you."