We need to flip the pursuit of happiness upside down.
Philippians 4:10-20 We find that Paul, rejoicing and in thankfulness, is concerned not with what he could gain, but with that he could give. Paul related so well to the church at Philippi because a spirit of giving was in its nature.
What is in your nature? Are you about getting, or giving? Are you consumer or steward?
- What's in it for me?
- Never satisfied.
- Live by "checks and balances" ideal.
- Will only give out of abundance.
- Lack inner fulfillment. In relationships, suck life out of others.
- Have sense of entitlement.
- I'm in it for Him; how can I serve?
- Content with circumstances. "I have Christ; I have enough."
- Thankful for what they have.
- Wise and honest in their business dealings.
- Faithful in tithing.
- Generous with resources. Use what they have to bless others.
Giving and Receiving
- Poured out-- yet full.
- Gratitude not for consuming, but for serving.
How content are you?
Words from John Wesley: "Earn all you can, save all you can, give all you can."
A Thanksgiving Message
Pastor Johnnie Blair