Wednesday, November 18, 2015

I could be wrong here...

...but bear with me a minute.

I am not quite sure why it is that I get the sense that some people will say anything, true or not, to make a point.  I read the other day that a vast glacier in Greenland is melting at an alarming rate.  This of course, according to the writer, is due to anthropogenic global warming.

The kicker?  The statement was made that should the glacier melt completely the world's ocean level will rise a foot.

I am not a physicist nor a cartographer.  But I have looked at a globe on occasion and it appears to me that were Greenland to melt entirely the result would be but a drop in the bucket to the world's oceans.

Not that I would like for that to happen. 

*Or half-metre, if you are of the British persuasion.  By the way. half-metre is well over a foot and a half.  
In the interest of fairness and should you like a different point of view which might scare you witless, see this blog.
Don't say I didn't warn you. 

2 comments:

Lin said...

It's a good thing I am a swimmer.

Grace said...

I go totally ostrich on this...even the reliable accounts of global warming scare me.