Thursday, December 1, 2011

What Do You Think?

My footnote comment on the last post occupied some of my waking hours in the middle of the night. Dad used to say, "The only thing in the newspaper you can believe is Alley Oop."

If he could see what passes for "news" on today's TV I don't know what he'd say; but it would not be complimentary.

It seems to me, and I suppose I could be wrong, that news media, both print and air, have two aims, or missions, if you will. a) to titillate, and b) to indoctinate, not necessarily in that order.

objectivity: word, the meaning of which is totally unknown to "news reporter" types.

3 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

I thought the only thing you could believe was Beetle Bailey, but I'm of a different generation.

Lin said...

I can't even watch the news anymore. Or the TV for that matter.

I just received notice that our cable bill is going up another $5.25/month. For what? I don't know...and we hardly watch it.

vanilla said...

Chuck, yeah, Dad was old school.

Lin, yep, those cable people have coffers much bigger than their consciences.