Thursday, November 3, 2011

Addressing Responsibility

Bruce Wydick, Professor of Economics at San Francisco University wrote,

"Like most protests, the Occupy Wall Street folks are better at identifying something that is wrong than identifying a way forward that is right.

"The Occupy Wall Street movement shares more than it would like to admit with the Tea Party, its populist complement on the right. Rather than taking the approach of self-reflection and personal ownership of sin that Jesus imparts to his followers, each of these movements seeks to externalize blame onto a culpable Other. It is Immigrants or Muslims or Obamacare or Greedy Corporations or Corrupt Wall Street Financiers who are to blame for our problems. But obviously not … Us."

The article from which I extracted these quotes appeared here and it is a bit long, but well worth the time it takes to read it. Only serious-minded people need apply.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup - never "my" fault or "my" responsibility - Kinda puts one in mind of that old Pogo quote.

Lin said...

I love how they want everyone else to pay for their responsibilities. I paid for my own student loans and I made sure I went to community college for 2 years to save money and then choose a college I could afford. But they don't want to??? Really???

vanilla said...

Grace, or Alfred E. Neuman. In any event, "is not my fault."

Lin, inasmuch as I know that responsible people made every honest effort to teach responsibility to their offspring, I am truly perplexed as to wha' happened? Oh, I guess irresponsibility is not a new phenomenon. Jesus said, "The poor you have with you always." The idiots, too, I'm thinking.