Sunday, October 30, 2011

Church Growth

I was talking to the Spouse about an article on church growth in today's society. She said,

It's a tough time to build up a church, trying to reach "heatherns"(sic) because they won't listen. It's not like the days when people were a lot more gullible and didn't have anything to do, so when a revival or a carnival would come to town it was an event. They'd go to a revival to listen to a hell-fire preacher and maybe be convicted and get saved.

So I got to thinking. "Sophistication" and a plethora of choices for entertainment might indeed be a couple of factors impeding the growth of the church. But people need the Message just as much as they ever did.

4 comments:

Lin said...

I think the message has more obstacles now more than ever.

vanilla said...

Lin, indeed it does. I only mentioned a couple of them. Blessings.

Secondary Roads said...

It seems to me that one-on-one contact works best these days. Church growth is community building IMO.

vanilla said...

Chuck, I believe it. I also believe that "personal evangelism" has always been the most effective method of church building.