Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Broken people


She was sitting on the sidewalk, legs spraddled, chin down, obviously wracked by drug abuse and dissipation.

He walked by and in disdain saw the town he grew up in falling into ruin.  "I need to get out of this degenerate place."

She walked by, shook her head and thought, "Sad.  How can young people do that to themselves.?"

Jesus looked down and saw one of his children, broken and in ruin, desperately in need of help.  "I must send one of my servants to minister to her needs."

You approach the frail, dirty girl there on the sidewalk. . .

4 comments:

Grace said...

I keep reading this, and I read it on FB, and I know what one should do, and I know what I have done, sometimes, which wasn't enough but at least I didn't walk away - completely, but I also know you can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved, and perhaps 'saved' isn't the right word - so then 'help' - anyway, much food for thought.

vanilla said...

Grace, I appreciate your comment. It is absolutely true that one cannot be "helped" who does not want help. There is substance to the belief that one must assume responsibility for his own actions, yet some are in such a condition that they cannot do it all on their own. Anyway, I've been thinking on this issue today, too.

Lin said...

I walk away because of the possibility of liabilities in helping. We see it daily in the city and if I stopped to help each person, the work would be endless. Plus, you aren't really sure who actually needs the help or just working the system. Yeah, I know. Color me bad.

vanilla said...

Lin, I do not consider you "bad." No one individual can help every down-and-outer, but I thought that it might be good for us all to be reminded that 1) we as individuals are blessed, 2) we need to be aware of needs and fill them where feasible, and 3) as a society we need to do more to get a grip on some of our problems. And, yes, a large percentage of those in these circumstances brought it on themselves. But God loves me, and He loves the idiots and addicts, too.