Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Dressing for the 21st Century

It is our routine to take brunch after church on Sunday.

Sitting in the restaurant awaiting the order I commented to the Missus that I can cut the younger set some slack, they don't know any better, but what is it with old guys sitting at table with hats on?  (There were three in our section.)

To this day I remove my hat when I enter a building.  (Exception: a shopping mall or a box store.)  The idea of eating with the hat on boggles the mind.  (Okay, we have a couple guys wear their hats in church-- maybe they have some sort of religious conviction, I don't know.)

Anyway, as we were leaving after the repast, I stopped by a table where were seated three couples of whom I am acquainted with four of the people.  Passed a couple of pleasantries, turned to leave, when the old guy I did not know said to me, "You've a bit of nerve, wearing a tie in public."

Do you believe this?  I didn't, either, for a moment  A glance around the room told me that indeed mine was the only tie in sight.  Recovering, I said, "I'm an old guy; I can get away with it."

(And flashing back to the morning worship service, I believe I was the only guy with a tie in church, too.  Am I out of line here?  Or just out of step? )

6 comments:

Jim Grey said...

The rules do appear to have changed around hats. I see younger fellows in church wear a hat, usually a glorified baseball cap, through a service. I'm old school enough that it bothers me but I never correct anyone because it does appear times have changed.

The thing about the tie, though, makes no sense.

vanilla said...

Jim, I don't call the young people on the hats in church, either. However, one guy wears a trilby and I feel like calling him on that issue alone, but I don't. 😁

Makes no sense for me to wear a tie, or makes no sense for someone to call me on it?

Vee said...

I agree with Emily Post that hats should be removed indoors to show respect and tipped when speaking to a woman in an outdoor space. Obviously, that last statement indicates that I have some sexist views. (But then, I am not insulted when a man opens a door for me.)

I think ties mostly have to do with class these days. Bankers, accountants, TV personalities, doctors (including my cardiologist), teachers who want respect (including both of my grandsons), high level management, and on and on. However, I'm thinking I might not want those hats at restaurants and in church to come off because a stench would likely be forthcoming. Just guessing!

Secondary Roads said...

I don't remember when I stopped wearing a tie and jacket to church. Perhaps it was when I realized I was the only one. When I go into a restaurant these days, it's a rare experience to encounter a place to park a hat. At least knit caps fold up and go into a coat pocket. I prefer my broad brimmed hat, but who wears those around here?

Think I'll just stay home--or get take out.

Grace said...

Hats off indoors, absolutely! Well for men anyway. Ties are for 'dress-up" Fancy restaurant, of course, may even be a requirement; IHOP? Nah. Dressing up for church was a must (including a hat for the ladies) but it has gone by the wayside as the world became more casual and a dress code was forsaken in exchange for getting more butts in the pews.

vanilla said...

Vee, I still try to follow Emily's rule in that regard, notwithstanding the fact that you and I, eighteen other old people, are the only ones who have a clue as to her identity.
You may be the only person who might think about that down-side to the hat removal.

Chuck, I guess I am either too hide-bound or too obstreperous to give it up.

Grace, tie in a family cafe, but I come direct from church. I guess the point might be, as you put it "more butts in the pews." But I don't have to like it, though spreading the Word to more people is a good thing.