Saturday, March 25, 2017

Ring! Ring!

Wife's cell phone rings.  I normally don't answer it, but it was lying right beside me on the end table.

I:  Hello!

(Silence)

I: (louder) Hello!

Moron:  This is not McDonald's, is it?

I:  You got that right.

Moron: You don't have to yell.  You are a (adjectival expletive) (expletive).

I: You are an idiot, ya know that?  A complete idiot.

(End of conversation)

In the day in which I grew up and during most of my adult life when one dialed a wrong number he simply said, Sorry, I got the wrong number.  And the person who was disturbed by a call not intended for him might say, That's all right.

But what a day and age we now occupy.

And people wonder at old coots who express longings for "the good old days."

4 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

The truth is that nostalgia is not what it used to be.

vanilla said...

Chuck, true. Someone keeps moving the goal posts. When I was a kid, the old coots yearned for the Roaring 20s, when I was a young man they recalled the Dirty 30s and WWII. I even saw a time when the old people looked back longingly on their hippy days of the sixties and seventies. And now here am I . . .

Lin said...

I love when you answer your phone and are met with a "WHO is THIS?!" to which I reply: "Well, who is THIS? YOU called me!"

People are so angry these days. The quick response is never kindness or a smile anymore.

vanilla said...

Lin, I am just perplexed as to why people choose rudeness over civility. Oh, arrested development: perpetually thirteen years old.