Thursday, May 29, 2014

Fired

I received a letter yesterday from my primary care physician announcing that she has joined a medical group practicing solely within her specialty.  This means she will no longer see her patients for whom she has served as gp.  My records will be transferred to a practice conducted by an individual of whom I have never heard.  Of course, I have the option to select another provider.

Since I had visualized our relationship continuing until she signed my death certificate a couple of decades in the future, my first thought was that I had been "fired."

I am so selfish.  It is not about me.  It is a choice she is making for her benefit, as well as for the benefit of those who will need her services in her area of specialization.  Too, I recognize that she is considerably older now than I was when I laid aside my work entirely.  She is entitled to retire, should she so choose, and certainly she is entitled to lighten her terribly heavy work load.  It is a credit to her love for the community that she has chosen to continue practicing at all.

I wish you well, Dr. Mary.  

Now to find a doctor.  Anyone know a good geriatrician?

No comments: