Sunday, November 5, 2017

Life of Stewardship

 The scripture lesson is Matthew 25:14-30 in which Jesus relates the parable of the rich man entrusting his goods to his servants while he was away.  The amount of wealth entrusted to each is not the point, but rather the manner in which the servants cared for the wealth.

The American dream at its inception implied that each individual might have the opportunity to make something of himself.  It has morphed into the dream of acquisition and consumption of more and more goods.

When will we have enough?
     --When we begin to choose a different kind of dream.--

How will we deal with the resources Christ has entrusted us with?
---Five principles which must drive us.--

1.  I may hold it for awhile, but God owns it all.
     --Breaks the chains of selfishness.  We are not entitled:  it is all God's who has decided to bless us with it for awhile.

2.  My faithfulness cannot be dictated by the amount I have.
     --Must practice faithfulness in the "little"  which will be amplified in the "much."

3.  If I fear losing it all, eventually I will.

4.  True blessing is not when I have something, but when I give something.
     --God blesses us that we might bless others.

5.  For me to have enough, Christ must be my All.
     --Note that the happiness of the servants (v. 23) is not in the things with which they are entrusted, but in sharing the happiness of the Master!

Happiness is not based on what we possess.

It is good to have money and the things money can buy--
But check yourself:  make sure you have not lost the things money cannot buy.

Again:  To have enough, Christ must be my All!
 
Pastor Johnnie Blair
Sunday morning

No comments: